Creating a Direct Account with AST
AST offers direct account status for customers with a volume of media to be captioned. You may elect to use Automatic Sync Technology’s Captioning or Transcription services for media that is not part of the Distance Education Captioning and Transcription (DECT) program at AST’s educational pricing. AST’s base educational pricing is comparable to the CollegeBuys pricing, and if you have a need to transcribe or caption over 20 hours media, AST’s volume purchase programs will offer more favorable pricing than the CollegeBuys fixed price. AST’s volume pricing programs are not part of the competitively bid CollegeBuys program managed by the Foundation for California Community Colleges. To obtain pricing and information on our volume programs please email email@example.com. If you choose this option, you will need to create a CaptionSync account that is not associated with the DECT (formerly CollegeBuys) program. AST offers education customers two ways to achieve volume discounts.
- Option 1: Bulk Prepay. AST offers bulk purchase discounts based by allowing you to prebuy a quantity of transcription and/or captioning time of your choosing. Once you create your CaptionSync login ID (see below), select how much time you wish to prepurchase. You may pay for for that time by mailing in payment or by using our online credit card payment system. Your account will be credited with the time you purchase when payment is received. You can them submit content for transcription and/or captioning and your balance of available time will be decremented in five minute increments.
- Option 2: Monthly Volume Invoicing If you choose not to prepay for time, AST will invoice you monthly for services used. We will extend our bulk discount to you for any services used in excess of 20 hours during that billing period.
To use create a direct account with AST please:
- Obtain a login account with Automatic Sync at: at: www.automaticsync.com/caption/sign_up.php. It is then highly recommended to watch the video on “getting started” on the CaptionSync Support Center.
- You will receive via email an acknowledgement of your account activation which will confirm your login information. If you have a lot of media assets to upload, please enable your account for AST-Link, a program that allows you to batch upload media files (on Account Features under the Settings tab). If you will have multiple users associated with this account, after you have the first user signed up, please check “associate with existing user” on the sign up form.
- Gather your media files that you will need to have captioned. You may submit the audio or video files.
- Determine the type of caption file(s) you will need. You may get as many as you need (there are no extra fees for requesting multiple caption file types). These files will be emailed to you, or you can return to your account to download them, or to “redo” the captions for new formats at no additional charge (available for 6 months from the date of submission).
- Login to your account (or always at the upper right above) and upload your files. Your transcript and caption files will be sent back to you generally within 3 business days unless you specify rush service in which the files are returned in one business day. If you need only caption files, you will need to upload an acceptable transcript, specify type of captions needed, and you will have your caption files returned to you in just minutes. Results will be emailed to you, and also available for downloading at your account. Simply download the files into the directory where your media assets are stored. You may need to check your spam filter to ensure that the files are not being directed there. At any point in time, you may see the status of your job by looking at Status of Existing Submissions link in the left-hand nav under the Caption/Transcribe tab.